Thursday, December 16, 2010

Is it too early for a resolution?


I am not a cook....well I like to cook, and I am getting better at it, but time is  never on my side and I make one heck of a mess when I do. I am fortunate to have a husband who likes to cook and is VERY good at it. 

Just to put things into perspective,  Josh taught me the right way to cut an onion and a tomato. He taught me how to cook a baked potato in the microwave, he showed me how to cook squash, fry chicken, cook a pot roast, make sweet tea, and that there are more options for dinner than casseroles and stouffer's lasagna! :) While on maternity leave I have done a good job of cooking for my husband and with my return to work looming, I want to try my best to continue this. I think it is very possible, with a little organization.

I have always heard people talking about making their weekly dinner plans on Sunday, and going shopping so you will have all the ingredients. Well, this is what I am resolving to do this year! One of my main problems with cooking dinner is what to make! I hate making that decision and never have anything laid out which makes it harder. SO, I have already made a list of all the dinners we normally rotate through, and I am going to sit down every weekend and pre-plan my meals! This way I will know what we are having and can avoid making that decision when its 6:00 on a Tuesday night and we are starving. And luckily Josh will cook some nights too, but as long as we know what we are making, it will be easier on both of us.

Does anyone have any advice on how they plan dinners? I think this plan will work as long as I stick to it! :)

6 comments:

  1. one of our easy staple favorites: crock pot chicken pasta.

    3-4 chicken breasts, thawed & cut into bite size pieces
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
    1 small can Rotel
    1 pkg Italian dressing (small envelope dry seasoning)
    1/2 stick butter

    Toss it all in the crock pot on medium. Cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve over pasta (penne and bowtie are best).

    It's that easy! My hubby requests this meal all the time and I've cooked it for friends that just had a baby. It's oh so good! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently started meal planning and it has made cooking so much more enjoyable.... I thrive on having plans:).
    I love doing crockpot things. Allrecipes.com has some great recipes too.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food network mealplanning, Sandra Lee, or Rachel Ray, or any of those type folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JM and I are HUGE cooks! Recipes do not scare me at all... but a really awesome website/blog is The Pioneer Woman- or even her cook book... she has a step by step (pictures TOO!) and everything has been great of hers that I have made. Even when it is a 16-minute meal... my favorite. We also find them in Cooking Light Magazine and tear out the pages.
    This is my resolution too. I am starting it now and so far a success... shopping on Sundays is the best advice. and Lists.
    Print off the recipes you like (or tear out of magazines), make your own cook book, and put them on the counter in order than u will use them! I am a psycho and have started organizing the kitchen shelves and fridge by what meals I will make that week. I am crazy though...
    Good luck! Keep my posted! and if you need recipes, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of what I call "Uni-dish" dish meals- meals with only one dish! Casseroles and crock pots are a busy moms best friend.

    ReplyDelete